Our client, the Halifax Grammar School, is seeking a Controller for their location in Halifax. As the leading, independent school in Atlantic Canada, the Halifax Grammar School offers students a balanced curriculum in academics, athletics, altruism and the arts, leading to confidence and independence.
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance & Facilities, the Controller is a key member of the business office.
- Month end financial reporting
- Quarterly financial statements
- Quarterly reconciliations of general ledger accounts including accruals, prepaids, salaries and annual giving
- Bank reconciliations
- Payroll review and authorization
- Employee benefits management
- Cash management
- Budget preparation
- Assisting with internal process and procedure review
- Year-end reconciliations and working papers
- Liaise with year-end auditor and other relevant internal and external parties
- Special project development and contribution
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation
- Minimum 5 years’ accounting experience at senior level
- High level technical accounting skills and thorough understanding of GAAP
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Detail orientation
- Thrives in a team focused environment
- Prior experience with QuickBooks (or similar program) is considered an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
A confident, self-motivated individual, you thrive in a hands-on, detailed accounting position within a dedicated team. Offering exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, you have strong technical accounting skills and above average time management capabilities. Prior accounting experience within a not-for-profit environment is considered an asset.
This employer offers a highly competitive compensation package, and the opportunity for meaningful contributions to this esteemed organization.