|Organization:||Hope Blooms Youth Social Entrepreneurial Ventures|
Hope Blooms Youth Social Entrepreneurial Ventures is seeking a financial expert to join its Board of Directors as Treasurer.
About Hope Blooms
Hope Blooms Youth Social Entrepreneurial Ventures Inc is a Canadian Registered Charitable Organization that exists to empower at-risk youth in marginalized communities to become change agents in their community. Our programming, which includes training on nutrition, operation of a community garden and greenhouse, and managing a salad dressing social enterprise, is focused on develop of leadership skills and pay it forward mentorship.
The youth are empowered to become changemakers and to make an impact on challenges they face living in a marginalized community. These challenges include, food insecurity, social exclusion, and lower than average high school completion. Youth grow not only food and skills but also build their education from 6 years of age through to 18 years of age, when they are eligible to receive a scholarship from the Fresh Herb Dressings they collaboratively develop and market.
Located in Halifax’s inner city, a neighborhood stigmatized by poverty, mental illness, drugs and violence, Hope Blooms has provided a safe space for the past 8 years for youth grow their own food, produce and market their own brand of fresh herb dressing, build relationships with community, and take control of their futures. What began with 9 youth and a small plot of land has grown to involve over 50 youth, 27 families and an innovative shared public growing space with gardens, a state of the art greenhouse, a food hub, and an outdoor kitchen and classroom. Hope Blooms produces over 3,000 lbs of vegetables and fruit each year, which are used for addressing food security in the community and producing salad dressings which are sold to raise money for a scholarship fund. For more information, visit HopeBlooms.ca.
About the Treasurer Role
The Treasurer will bring financial expertise to a highly respected Board of Directors. The Treasurer:
- Manages the finances of the organization, including the board’s review of and action related to, financial responsibilities
- Ensures appropriate financial reports are made available to the board
- Regularly reports to board on key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of fiscal health
- Provides annual budget to the board for members’ approval
- Ensures development and board review of financial procedures and systems
- Chairs the Finance Committee and prepares agendas for meetings
- Recommends to the board whether the organization should have an audit
- Assists in the selection of an auditor, if needed, and meets with him or her annually
It is estimated that this role will take 5-7 hours, per month, including a monthly Board meeting, and opportunities to mentor Youth taking part in Hope Blooms programming.
For more information, please contact Mike Kennedy, CPA CA, Secretary of the Board of Directors at 902.877.8340.