Our client is seeking a Payroll Specialist for their Halifax office. This is a contract opportunity with potential for permanent.
As a member of the finance department, you will be responsible for all payroll and benefits functions within the organization. Primary duties will include:
- Processing all payroll for salaried, hourly, and casual employees
- Verifying accuracy of timesheet entry
- Setting up employees in payroll system
- Calculating and reconciling all benefit premiums and deductions
- Processing annual tax forms and issuing ROEs
- Preparing government remittances and reports
- Maintaining benefit plan enrollments and terminations
- Monitoring and updating contribution limits
- Reconciling bank statements and balance sheet accounts
- Preparing journal entries and adjustments
- Preparing payroll and financial reports as requested
- Other payroll, benefits, and finance tasks as required
As the ideal candidate, you have completed a degree in business or accounting, and gained a minimum of 5 years’ experience processing a large payroll independently. A solid understanding of payroll processes and legislation is required, while a professional payroll certification is considered a strong asset.
A highly organized and focused individual with superior time management skills, you are able to prioritize effectively to consistently meet deadlines. High attention to detail is important, along with excellent communication skills, a professional demeanor, and a demonstrated ability to handle confidential information with discretion.